Thursday 17 September 2015

TALK di tings dem!

5...4...3...2...1..., Okay I'm done!

For the past two weeks I have been brought up to speed with the pending rape case against former parish councillor, socialite and businessman Don Creary, and his girlfriend, Shaneke Williams (the co-accused) also charged with one count of aiding and abetting rape and sexual touching according to The Jamaica Observer. Now where do I begin?

 Firstly, people are still afraid to discuss the matter openly for fear of being hurt one way or another. Secondly, the victims have been further victimized because people are putting forward that these young ladies are to be blamed for their unfortunate, life-altering experiences. What were these teenagers doing around such an older man to begin with persons ask. Well... I am angry! I am angry with those who think that rape is a hush-hush topic. Rape is by no means a soft, sweet and sentimental subject! Oh no!! It is ugly, shameful and downright barbaric! Now speaking from a mother's perspective, the subject is most unsettling and simply makes me shudder with disgust from my scalp down to my toe cuticle. What if this were to happen to my own daughter a decade from now?

People argue that the accused are innocent until proven guilty. I call bullshit!!! Lay all the cards on the table and call a spade a spade!!! Too often we criticize victims and laud offenders. When will we focus on the REAL issues. When will we get our acts together? When will we be done with mumbling beneath our breaths and shine police radio car lights on these rotten elements? Can we stop with the whispering for just once? No more cover ups...Talk up! RAPE IS ABOMINABLE!!!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I support this wholeheartedly. " No more cover ups...Talk up!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, us women have to stand in solidarity!! Rape is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

      Delete